Recent Why SERVPRO Posts
Local Lawrence, KS Agent wins Signed Kansas City Chiefs Helmet
Jodi Stark showing off her signed football helmet.
We like building relationships here at SERVPRO of Lawrence/Ottawa and East Topeka, especially relationships with our local insurance agents. We put on a raffle to win a signed Patrick Mahomes of the Kansas City Chiefs football helmet. We had over 275 entries at the time a name was pulled on November 1st. Our local State Farm Agent Jodi Stark had her name in the raffle several times and won the helmet. She was excited to receive the helmet and a glass display case to help show it off. We love being able to build and grow our relationships with our local agents like Jodi Stark. We hope you enjoy having the helmet displayed, Jodi! Congratulations! We look forward to doing an event like this again in the future for our local Lawrence and East Topeka agents.
Restoration VS Replace in East Topeka, KS
At SERVPRO of Lawrence/Ottawa and East Topeka we are in the business of restoration rather than replacement – this provides the benefits of not only lower costs but also a smaller ecological footprint. On a more personal level, restoration vs. replacement provides East Topeka and Lawrence homeowners with a peace of mind, in the event of a loss, that they will be able to make the most of any insurance payments they receive.
Why do we focus on restoration?
- We minimize the amount of building materials discarded into landfills.
- We preserve the original architecture of building structures.
- Restoration is much more cost-efficient than replacement.
- Many items cannot be replaced, such as important documents and family heirlooms.
In addition to preserving original structures and items, a drive towards restoration can better satisfy a complete return to normalcy when catastrophe occurs. Insurance policies often have limits that cap the amount of a claim – restoration allows for minimizing the costs of returning a structure to its pre loss condition.
SERVPRO of Lawrence/Ottawa and East Topeka works seamlessly with insurance companies nationwide, providing them with restoration budgets that not only meet their stringent guidelines, but provide the homeowner with the best possible outcome.
You have a choice when it comes to who to trust with your home after a fire or flood. Choose SERVPRO of Lawrence/Ottawa and East Topeka and let us help you make it “Like it never even happened.”
We can be reached 24/7 at 785-690-7373.
Lawrence, KS Holiday Safety and Preparation
Lights, candles, action – it’s the holiday season again. Brightly lit decorations, elaborate meals and large gatherings are all part of traditional holiday celebrations. Unfortunately, these seasonal traditions also cause an average of 230 home fires each year, with an average of 4 deaths, 21 injuries and $17.3 million in property damage.
East Topeka and Lawrence Homeowners can keep their homes and their family’s safe during the holiday season by understanding the dangers and taking some simple, commonsense precautions.
Holiday Cooking Fire Facts
- Thanksgiving Day has three times the average number of reported home structure fires involving cooking equipment. The two other peak days for cooking-related fires are Christmas Day and Christmas Eve.
Holiday Cooking Safety Tips
- Supervise items on the stove top. Fifty-eight percent of kitchen fires involve ranges: homes with electric cooktops have a higher risk of fire than homes with gas cook tops.
- Keep flammable items – potholders, packaging, wrapping, wooden utensils, loose clothing – away from the stove top.
- Don’t let lack of sleep or alcohol consumption affect your ability to concentrate on preparing the meal.
Holiday Decorating Fire Facts
- Half of all holiday decoration fires start because the decoration is too close to a heat source.
- On average, 32 candle fires are reported each day. December is the peak month for candle fires.
Holiday Decorating Safety Tips
- Keep all decorations away from heat sources like radiators, portable heaters, and fireplaces.
- Use flameless candles.
- If you do use traditional candles, burn them in sturdy candle holders, well away from drapes and other flammable materials. Never leave them unattended and never allow them to burn down to less than once inch in length.
Christmas tree Fire Facts
- 50% of live tree fires occur between December 22 and January 5.
- 31% of tree fires are caused by electrical problems.
- 14% involve decorative lights.
Christmas tree Safety Tips
- Keep live trees well watered to reduce the chance of a fire.
- Check wiring on lights for breaks and wear, replace worn strings and don’t exceed manufacturer guidelines for connecting multiple strands of lights.
- Don’t leave tree lights plugged in when you are away from home or asleep.
For more fire prevention tips and information about fire and water damage restoration services, contact SERVPRO of Lawrence/Ottawa and East Topeka at 785-690-7373.
Statistics used are based on National Fire Protection Association data.
Sewage Cleanup and Restoration in Lawrence, KS
Sewage backup should be considered an emergency since the water may contain viruses, bacteria, and other items that may cause serious illnesses. We have specialized training and equipment to quickly and safely clean contaminates like sewage.
Sewage is considered category 3: “Black Water”
Category 3 water is grossly contaminated and could cause severe illness or death if ingested and any contact should be avoided. Examples include flooding from rivers or streams, water from beyond the toilet trap, water from the toilet bowl with feces, or standing water that has begun to support microbial growth.
Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences
A failure to properly remove such substances can contribute to unhealthy and dangerous environments. SERVPRO of Lawrence/Ottawa and East Topeka is trained to safely remove biohazards and dispose of them properly in accordance with OSHA and health regulations.
Equipped with the necessary safety apparatus and cleaning products, we can help transform these unhealthy environments back into clean, safe Lawrence and East Topeka homes and offices.
24 Hour Emergency Service
Water contaminated with sewage backup should be considered an emergency situation and dealt with as quickly as possible. We are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We are water damage restoration specialists with specialized training, equipment and protective gear to safely restore your Lawrence and East Topeka area home or business.
Toilet Overflow or Sewer Backup? Call SERVPRO of Lawrence/Ottawa and East Topeka Today 785-690-7373
What is Water Restoration in Baldwin City, KS
Imagine you come home from work on a Wednesday afternoon and you walk into your living room covered with 8 inches of water.
What do you do?
Who do you call?
Do you call your family friend, a local contractor, or a Water Restoration Company?
What is the difference?
There are many differences between contractors and Water Restoration Companies.
Here are a few:
- A contractor’s job is to replace everything that is affected. This will include all flooring, walls, cabinets and even furniture. SERVPRO of Lawrence/Ottawa and East Topeka is certified in drying water damage to industry standards. We will not remove materials unless it is necessary. This prevents further interruption to your daily life.
- A contractor will have to replace all of the materials they took out of your home. This can take weeks waiting for material decisions, insurance approval, shipping, and installation time. SERVPRO’s average drying time is only 3 days. We have crews available 24/7/365 and someone to monitor your job daily.
- Replacing flooring, drywall, and all of your furniture is expensive. Restoring your home is a lot less expensive than replacing everything in your home.
When you call SERVPRO of Lawrence/Ottawa and East Topeka you can expect a First Responder on site within an hour and your home to be restored quickly by certified, professional technicians.
We are Cleaning Experts in Lawrence, KS
We are here to help.
SERVPRO of Lawrence/Ottawa and East Topeka is Here to Help during this time of need
During this unprecedented time caused by the global pandemic of coronavirus, this is a reminder to our customers that we are specialists in cleaning services, and we adhere to the highest cleaning and sanitation standards.
We are prepared to clean and disinfect your home or business, according to protocols set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. We have years of experience in dealing with biological contaminants, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform on a daily basis.
The CDC encourages cleaning of high-touch surfaces such as counters, tabletops, doorknobs, light switches, bathroom fixtures, toilets, phones, keyboards, tablets and tables. Other spaces mentioned in the CDC’s guidance for commercial spaces include:
- Kitchen/Food Areas
- Retail Spaces
- Water Fountains
- Sales Counters
- Carpets and Rugs
- Stair Handrails
- Elevator Cars
- Playground Equipment
- Fitness Equipment
The CDC recommends usage of a labeled hospital-grade disinfectant with claims against similar pathogens to the coronavirus. Multiple products in the SERVPRO product line carry the EPA-approved emerging pathogens claims. While there is currently no product tested against this particular strain of the coronavirus, we are following all guidelines as provided by the CDC and local authorities.
Call Today for a Proactive Cleaning
If your home or business needs deep cleaning services, call the experts today – SERVPRO of Lawrence/Ottawa and East Topeka, 785-690-7373