Be Prepared in Lawrence, KS: Flooding
Did you know flooding is the most common natural disaster in the United States? A flood is classified as a temporary overflow of water on normally dry land. There are many different causes of flooding, including rain, snow, and overflowed water systems. Here are some tips about preparing for floods fromready.gov:
- Know flood risk types in your area
- The Emergency Alert System (EAS) and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association (NOAA) Weather Radio can provide emergency alerts as well as any community alert systems in your area.
- If your area has a risk of flash flooding, make sure to look for and monitor potential signs, like rain. It can happen very quickly so always be alert.
- Gather supplies in case you have to leave immediately or services are cut off. Remember things like medications, extra batteries, and pet supplies.
- Keep important documents in a water proof container, like a water proof lock box.