If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (785) 690-7373

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in East Topeka, KS

10/6/2020 (Permalink)

Carbon monoxide poisoning is often called the silent killer, and for good reason. You can’t see or smell it, but at high levels it can kill a person in only a few minutes. Carbon monoxide (or CO) is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels, like gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, and propane burn incompletely. All people and animals in Lawrence and East Topeka are at risk for CO poisoning, with some groups- including unborn babies, infants and people with chronic heart disease, anemia, or respiratory problems- being more susceptible on the effects of carbon monoxide

Be aware of these symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning- dull headache, weakness, dizziness, nausea and vomiting, shortness of breath, confusion, blurred vision, and loss of consciousness. An excess of CO, leading to CO poisoning, can result from faulty furnaces or other heating appliances, portable generators, water heaters, clothes dryers or idling cars left running in garages. Taking some basic, precautionary steps can help eliminate the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

  • Have fuel burning appliances inspected by a professional every year.
  • Open the damper for proper ventilation before using a fireplace, never use your oven or stovetop to heat your home.
  • Make sure to have all fuel-burning equipment vented to the outside and keep the venting for exhaust clear.
  • Never run a vehicle or other fueling engine or motor indoors, even if garage doors are open.
  • Make sure the vents for dryers, furnaces, stoves, and fireplaces are clear of snow and other debris.
  • Only use grills outside and away from all doors, windows, vents, and other openings.
  • Use portable generators outdoors in well-ventilated areas.

Other News

View Recent Posts