Recent Commercial Posts
50% of Eudora, KS Business Never Reopen after a Natural Disaster
According to a major insurance company, one out of two Lawrence businesses never returns to the marketplace following a major disaster. Of those that do, half go bankrupt within three years. The businesses that survive plan their response to a disaster before it strikes.
And the property losses from hurricanes, floods, fires, and other disasters are staggering. Insured losses due to natural disaster in the United States in the first half of 2015 totaled $12.6 billion. That's according to a July 2015 presentation by Munich Re and the Insurance Information Institute.
Pre-planning can serve as a type of "insurance policy" that provides your Lawrence commercial business with peace of mind. And knowing you are "ready for whatever happens" builds trust among your clients and employees that in the event your Lawrence business is affected by a disaster, they don't necessarily have to be.
Create a SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile
By developing a SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile for your commercial business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation.
An Emergency Ready Profile can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business. At no charge, here's what completing the profile provides for you:
A no cost assessment of your business facility- you pay nothing to have SERVPRO of Lawrence/Ottawa assess the storm-readiness of your commercial building.
A concise document with the critical information you need in an emergency- it takes less than 30 minutes to complete an Emergency Ready Profile. It won't take you away from current projects. But building your emergency plan will save a lot of time if a disaster strikes.
A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster- you cut costs because the profile can help reduce the time your Lawrence business will be inactive. Most business owners don't realize that the biggest cost businesses hit by a natural disaster is not the cost of the cleanup or renovations. By far, the biggest cost is having to close your Lawrence business down while the repairs are made. Many businesses lose tens of thousands of dollars for every day they are closed. We specialize in getting businesses back in business fast.
A firm relationship with SERVPRO of Lawrence/Ottawa as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider- you gain the assurance of having a local provider who is recognized as an industry leader, knows your needs, and will respond quickly in an emergency.
A faster path to mitigation by identifying your line of command for authorizing work to begin- you save valuable time when SERVPRO of Lawrence/Ottawa immediately knows we can begin work of mitigating the damage to your business. Your cleanup and restoration can happen in the most efficient and effective manner.
A detailed listing of critical facility information- you have in one place a reference for details like all shut-off valve locations, priority areas, and priority contact information. You gain a quick reference of what to do, how to do it, and who to call so you're "ready for whatever happens."
We're here to Help
The team at SERVPRO of Lawrence/Ottawa has specialized training and experience in virtually all aspects of cleaning up after damage caused by water, sewer, fire, smoke, wind, or other natural disasters. Create your own Emergency Ready Profile with us now. Preparation today could save you days of business interruption and help keep the cost of any damage from a disaster down.
Electrical Fires and your Lecompton, KS Business
According to the US Department of Energy, people use electricity to charge their cell phones and laptops, wash and dry their clothes, cook meals, brew their morning coffee and heat their businesses. Electrical power keeps people connected and allows people to do what they need to do. Even though most Americans recognize the benefits that come with electrical power, they must also understand that there is a responsibility that needs to be taken seriously to avoid injury or possible disaster.
According to Electrical Safety Foundation International, more than 50,000 fires in the home are attributed to electrical fires. These have resulted in almost 500 deaths and more than 1,400 injuries. The damage that has been done has totaled more than $1.3 billion. Obviously, being careless with electrical power has very serious consequences.
The experts at SERVPRO of Lawrence/Ottawa recommend that individuals follow these safety measures in their business to reduce the risk of electrical fires:
- Inspect your Lawrence business for loose wires, faulty wiring, and shorts. If there are any issues, contact a qualified electrician. Also, use safety covers on outlets to protect children.
- Make sure there are smoke detectors on each level of your Lawrence business. Test them each month to make sure they are working properly.
- If electrical equipment is making strange sounds or has a weird odor, turn them off. If there is water damage on your Lawrence property, make sure that an expert inspects all electrical appliances. Do not plug then in or turn them on until they are safe. When water has damaged electrical appliances, they can be very dangerous.
- Use safe cord practices. When cords are loose, frayed or cracked, repair them or replace them. Never place cords in high traffic areas, under rugs, or stapled to surfaces. Additional outlets can be installed by an electrician if necessary. Extension cords should only be utilized temporarily.
- Light bulb wattage should be correct for the appliance being used.
- During spring cleaning and while working near service meters or electrical lines, use caution. Consider hiring a professional to do the work if it is dangerous.
- Flammable items should be kept away from electrical appliances.
- Consider installing an arc fault circuit interrupter (AFCI) to reduce the chances of electrical fire in your Lawrence business.
- Avoid using electrical power tools outside after it has rained, or the area is wet. Never operate electrical equipment while barefoot.
- Do not allow children to climb trees near power lines. Reduce risk of electrical-related injuries by keeping balloons, kites, and other items away from overhead lines.
Prevention is the best method to keep your family and property safe. If you have experienced property damage because of fire, you can rely on SERVPRO of Lawrence/Ottawa.
SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile in Clinton, KS
The SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile (ERP) will help ensure you and your Lawrence business are “Ready for whatever happens”.
In the event of an emergency, the SERVPRO ERP, can help minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action in place for your Lawrence facility. The Emergency Ready Profile is a comprehensive document containing critical information about your Lawrence business, including: Emergency Contact Information, Shut-off Valve Locations, and Priority Areas. The ERP is also accessible online using your computer or tablet; download SERVPRO’s free Ready Plan app to access this information anytime using your smartphone or tablet.
The ERP establishes your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider, giving you access to over 40 years’ experience and a System nearly 1,700 Franchises strong. Knowing what to do and who to call in advance is key to quick response and timely mitigation. Having a plan in place may help minimize the amount of time your Lawrence business is inactive and get you back in the building following a disaster.
50%: The percent of businesses that may never reopen after suffering a disaster.
Preparation is key to making it through any size disaster, whether it is a small water leak, a large fire or an area flood. The best time to plan for such events is not when the event happens, but well before it happens. No one ever plans on a disaster, but now, you can plan for it.
The ERP is a no cost assessment, all it requires is a little time, making a great value that could save a lot of time in the future. Call SERVPRO of Lawrence/Ottawa to establish your Emergency READY Profile.
Lawrence, KS Commercial Water Restoration and Cleanup
There’s no such thing as a small disaster- especially when the water you don’t see contains bacteria or can cause mold, rot, or other unseen damage. Water damage can affect the value of your Lawrence property. Before you get out the mop bucket and try to clean it yourself, consider how the damage can affect your Lawrence commercial property.
SERVPRO of Lawrence/Ottawa knows how disruptive water damage can be for your Lawrence business. Our team is trained and equipped to manage the drying process from start to finish. By utilizing the proper equipment and moisture measuring devices, your Lawrence commercial building will be quickly and thoroughly dried to industry standards, which will help with secondary damages! With rapid response time and a full line of water cleanup and restoration services, SERVPRO of Lawrence/Ottawa can help you regain control quickly, by helping ensure your facility and its contents are properly dried, deodorized, and protected.
Before you risk further damaging the value of your commercial facility by attempting to clean the mess yourself, give SERVPRO of Lawrence/Ottawa a call.
Mold in your Baldwin City, KS Business
In as little as 48 hours, mold can quickly become a problem in your Lawrence area home or business when there’s a water intrusion, like a roof leak or leaking water line. Mold can cause health effects and can also cause significant damage to your property. SERVPRO of Lawrence/Ottawa has the training, protective gear, and specialized equipment necessary to handle your mold problem.
Have a Mold Problem? Call Today 785-690-7373
If you have a mold problem in your Lawrence home or business, your primary focus should be safety:
- Significant mold growth can occur in 48-72 hours.
- Mold may present a greater risk to children, the elderly, and anyone with respiratory problems.
- A strong, musty odor may indicate hidden mold behind drywall or under carpeting.
What to Do:
- Stay out of the affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact a SERVPRO Franchise Professional for mold remediation services.
What NOT to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
Call SERVPRO of Lawrence/Ottawa 785-690-7373
Common Causes of Sewer Damage in Lawrence, KS
Sewage damage to a Lawrence business can happen slowly over time or very suddenly. There are multiple causes of sewage damage, but the result is the same: a difficult-to-clean mess that can have serious health implications. Sewage in your Lawrence business requires immediate attention and professional cleaning in many cases. Avoid sewage damage by watching out for the most common causes:
- Seepage from faulty seals. Seals around toilets and in pipe connections can deteriorate over time, and a lot of seepage from these leaks build up slowly, doing damage beneath floorboards and in walls before you’re even aware of it. Signs of hidden seepage include buckling flooring, stains on ceilings and walls, and an unpleasant smell that doesn’t go away with cleaning. Inspect seals regularly to avoid a hidden leak; if you rent or lease your office space, report any signs of seepage to your property manager immediately. The longer a leak goes on, the more serious the damage will be.
- Burst Pipes. A burst pipe can release a sudden stream of sewage into your Lawrence business and can happen at any time. Pipes can burst as a result of blockage, improper insulation during freezing weather or simple deterioration. Upkeep and careful winterizing of pipes is vital to avoiding a burst sewer line.
- A flood, whether caused by rain or a body of water overflowing its banks, can put too much pressure on the sewer system, causing sewage to back up into bathtubs and sinks. Heavy backup can overflow into your Lawrence business, resulting in severe damage. If you live in a high-risk area for flooding, look into backup valves and other preventative measures to keep flood waters from forcing sewage into your Lawrence business. Even low-risk areas can experience floods that cause sewage backup, so precautions are always a good idea.
- Clogged sewer lines. Flushing the wrong thing down the toilet can result in a sewage backup that can quickly overflow into your bathroom. Blockage in the main sewer line can cause sewage to back up through every sink, toilet, and tub– a problem that is greater than just one overflowing toilet. Avoid flushing anything down the toilet that doesn’t belong, including feminine hygiene products and baby wipes. Clogs in the sewer line don’t always come from the toilet, either. Don’t dump grease down your sinks, and be cautious when using the garbage disposal to prevent clogs.
- Tree roots. As trees grow, their roots can do significant damage to pipes beneath the ground. They can puncture or crush pipes, causing leaks and sewage backup. Keep an eye on larger trees on your Lawrence property – and neighboring properties as well. It’s best to have an expert examine any trees whose position might be a cause for concern.
SERVPRO of Lawrence/Ottawa is the area’s leader in smoke, fire, water and sewer cleanup and restoration. Sewage is a category 3 water disaster and needs to be cleaned and treated by a professional cleaning and mitigation company. SERVPRO of Lawrence/Ottawa is an IICRC certified firm with the specialized workforce and equipment to address a sewage disaster safely. We are an emergency service company serving the Douglas County area. Call us for 24/7 assistance, 785-690-7373.